Church of the Resurrection

New Albany, Ohio

The Parish of the Church of the Resurrection, located in New Albany, Ohio, came to us with a specific concern. How do we create a place of worship for the Roman Catholic Faith and assimilate into a community with strong Georgian (Williamsburg) design criteria.

The parish wanted the furthest seat in this 1400 seat church to be no farther than 70' from the altar. This required balcony seating and allowed us to express sweeping exterior curved walls that focused into the oculus located over the altar. This form expressed the Roman Catholic belief of one mystical body of Christ. The use of Roman arched windows and interior vaulted ceilings strengthened the parish’s tie to the Vatican in Rome.

The church was sited so that the holiest of spaces faced the quiet nature reserve located to the north of the property. This allowed us to set up a play between God’s gift of nature framed through the Roman arched windows and God’s gift of his only Son rising from the Roman arched tomb and ascending into the light flowing from the oculus located over the altar.

The main cloistered entrance is framed by a colonnade on two sides. This creates a courtyard space reminiscent of the great piazza at St. Peter’s in Rome. This transitional space is very important in Roman Catholic Traditions.

This courtyard is the home of a full scale paved replica of the labyrinth used in the Cathedral of Chartes. This labyrinth symbolizes to Catholics our spiritual journey within each of us.

CASE STUDIES

CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION

RELIGIOUS

The Parish of the Church of the Resurrection, located ...

Click here to read more.

 

BIG CREEK PET HOSPITAL

MEDICAL

When a local veterinarian needed a new ...

Click here to read more.

 

PARK BUILDING CONDOMINIUMS

RESIDENTIAL

A historical landmark on Cleveland’s public square ...

Click here to read more.